Director, Global Coordination, Greening BRI Initiative
Position Title: Director, Global Coordination, Greening BRI Initiative
Reports to: Head of hosting office, in full consultation with Lead, Governance and CEO of WWF China
Location: WWF office within BRI countries
I. Major Functions: Lead and direct development and implementation of the Greening BRI Initiative.
II. Background: The Belt and Road Initiative is a major infrastructure and development plan that, originating from China, is set to reach more than 70 countries across the globe, opening up many of WWF priority areas. While on paper the BRI is set to be ‘green’, a lot of projects planned and in the pipeline are not following those principles. So far many BRI related work has been undertaken both by WWF China and other WWF offices affected by the BRI expansion. However this work has been done mostly reactively and not at a scale needed to meet the challenges and opportunities presented by the BRI.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
As one WWF’s highest profile and ambitious conservation programmes, the leader will be required to take responsibility for a complex, often controversial programme involving activities in more than 20 countries. The leader will be working closely with all the implementation countries and those leading in conservation, fundraising, policy, global communications. The leader will be leading a fundraising effort to make the current work on BRI at scale in different countries and will take the leading role in liaising with multi-lateral players, like UNDP, AIIB, World Bank, UN Environment. The role will need to beworking closely with WWF China and head of the governance practice and more broadly with key practice leaders across the network.
· Further develop and finalise a vision/strategy for the Greening BRI network initiative, in consultation with key network offices and practices
· Create a supporting fundraising and communication strategy for the Greening the BRI work
· Together with WWF China CEO, represent WWF atrelevant international conventions and meetings, and act as a spokes person in international media, as they relate to BRI issues.
· Help ensure greening BRI priorities are taken upby and integrated with other priority WWF programmes.
· Develop strategic alliances with international business and financial institutions to deliver on the programme, particularly to ensure sustainable finance mechanisms are deployed in the implementation of the BRI
· Develop and nurture institutional relationships key to achieving the Greening the BRI strategic goals.
· With other offices, fundraise to ensure the implementation of this strategy – to start with a target of USD 5 million
· Create a clear workplan aimed at the delivery of the strategy, with clear roles and responsibilities across the network and including support of consultants and partners
· Direct and coordinate existing network portfolio of programmes relating to BRI
· Mobilize transformational actions from external actors and stakeholders in support of WWF’s: act as “door opener" and ambassador for WWF’s BRI work
· Work with key practice leads (governance,finance, wildlife, water) to identify and act upon emerging threats and opportunities relevant to greening BRI.
· Overall manage the delivery of the BRI initiative plan – including providing substantive support for the work
· Assist WWF implementing and supporting offices towards delivery on Greening BRI goals and Objectives; provides guidance to help ensure country workplans deliver against Greening BRI goals.
· Manage the operation of the Steering group (Oliver, SP and Delphin, Margaret)
· Support creation, set up and management of a senior Advisory group, including external partners.
and identifying gaps and priorities and funding needs with the Advisory Group.
· Build and coordinate a dedicated team, and mobilize the human, technical and financial resources both within the WWFNetwork, and externally, to implement this initiative.
· Effectively manage the budget raised and other donor and contractual responsibilities; s/he will be responsible and accountable for proper, wise and strategic use of these funds
· Work with WWF programme communicators to develop campaign approaches as necessary, and communication outreach to support the Initiative’s objectives.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
a. Atleast 15 years professional experience in a leadership role, with demonstratedsuccessin managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donorbudgets.
b. Anadvanceddegreeorcomparableexperienceinconservation, finance, naturalsciences,management, international development /international policy or a relevantfield.
c. Excellentknowledge of strategic planning, sustainable infrastructure and natural capitaland conservation
d. Experience in engaging with business and industry sectors, to change practices and behaviors
e. Experiencein raising and mobilizingfunding.
f. Experience with building strategic alliances and partnerships to achieve commongoals.
g. Experiencein leading globalteams.
h. Provenstrong negotiating and lobbying skills at the governmental and inter governmental, corporate and network levels.
i. Proven ability to work effectively in a complex organization, with cross-cutting,multinational,multi- disciplinary,teams.
j. Excellentcommand of English (written andoral)
l. Willingnessto travel
V. Working Relationships:
Internal — Worksclosely with all practice, leads, WWF China office, Steering group, Advisorygroup and implementing offices.
External — Works closely with a very large variety ofindividuals and representativesof organizations working on BRI, donors, localand central governments andprivate companies.
VI. Contact Information:
? Candidates should send a cover letter addressing the selection criteria togetherwith a CV in English and Chinese as email attachments to HR@wwfchina.org.
? Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your emailand please indicate your salary expectation within the cover letter.